Create Point Feature Classtool takes a raw xyz point cloud in a flat ascii file (e.g.
*.pts) and converts it into a point shapefile for direct use in deriving a TIN and DEM. It also allows you to specify the spatial reference (coordinate system) of the point shapefile you will create, which is required to use the shapefile in a GCD project analyses (e.g. point density estimation). The tool is a precursor to
Create DEM and/or TINtool.
The below video gives a succinct tutorial on how to use and the details of the Create Point Feature Class Tool:
- raw point cloud
- An ascii text file formatted into columns of x, y, z. Other columns can be present but will not be included in the output shapefile. (headers can be commented out with a
- spatial reference (optional)
- can be in the form of a .prj file or you can load an existing shapefile that contains a spatial reference and that spatial reference will be imported.
The outputs for the tool are:
- Shapefile or Feature Class
- contains x, y, z fields from the original surveyed points.